Here’s the first of what will be a number of polls for CD45. We’ll just do the non-Democrats for now as it’s a large list that will be pared down over the months ahead of the June, 2014 Primary.
The anti-competitive, noxious “top two” election law that Abel Maldonado arranged for us by twisting Schwarzenegger’s arm suggests we’ll allow TWO votes for this go-round. We’ll leave the poll open until next weekend. If there are any other suggestions for names, please leave a comment.
So far, the only declared candidates for this seat are termed-out State Senator Mimi Walters, Tea Partier John Webb who ran against Campbell in 2012 and Marine Colonel (ret.)/Military Writer Greg Raths. 2nd District County Supervisor John Moorlach is said to be interested in the position (said my friend Allan Bartlett in Facebook on July 8th, “I’m losing track of all the political offices John Moorlach is running for”).
CD45 includes the cities of Irvine, Tustin, North Tustin, Lake Forest, Laguna Woods, Laguna Hills, Villa Park, Mission Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, Coto De Caza, and portions of the cities of Anaheim and Orange. Residency in the District is not a requirement to declare for it, or be elected to it.
Candidates for Congressional District 45 (non-Democrats) -- Two Votes allowed
- Rep. Ed Royce (jumping Districts) (31%, 44 Votes)
- State Senator Mimi Walters (19%, 27 Votes)
- Irvine Mayor Steven Choi (19%, 27 Votes)
- OC Supervisor John Moorach (9%, 12 Votes)
- Assemblyman Don Wagner (5%, 7 Votes)
- Retired Marine Col. Greg Raths (5%, 7 Votes)
- 2012 CD45 Primary Candidate John Webb (4%, 6 Votes)
- Former Congressman Chris Cox (1%, 2 Votes)
- CPA Phil Liberatore (1%, 2 Votes)
- Former Anaheim Councilman Harry Sidhu (1%, 1 Votes)
- Rep. Gary Miller (jumping Districts) (1%, 1 Votes)
- Former Supervisor Gaddi Vasquez (1%, 1 Votes)
- Former Assemblyman Van Tran (1%, 1 Votes)
- Former State Senator Dick Ackerman (1%, 1 Votes)
- OC Supervisor Pat Bates (1%, 1 Votes)
- Retired Businessman Quang Pham (1%, 1 Votes)
- BoE Member Michelle Steel (currently declared for SD2) (0%, 0 Votes)
- PIMCO Executive Neal Kashkiri (0%, 0 Votes)
- Assemblywoman Diane Harkey (0%, 0 Votes)
- Former Laguna Niguel Councilman Paul Glaab (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 85
Update: Here’s another poll from John Lewis from July 2nd that we found buried in the FlashReport: 45th Congressional Race Up For Grabs. Lewis included OC Supervisor Todd Spitzer as a potential candidate, but we believe he’s absolutely going to run for District Attorney in 2014.