Moxley and Arellano at the OC Weekly are covering the latest set of layoffs at the Orange County Register here, here and here. By the end of today, we should have an idea who from their newsroom is leaving. So far, Gustavo has good-bye tweets from Sandy Coronilla, Laura Olson, Bruce Chambers, Keith Sharon and Kevin Sablan. More, possibly many, can be expected as these survivors of the January layoffs weigh their “buyout” options (as did senior sports guy T. J. Simers) or just bail as they might walk out with more today than later on when the Register finally closes the doors of the building they just sold.
Aaron Kushner‘s grand plan to become the Rupert Murdoch of southern California jumped a bit closer to that shark today as Freedom Communications announced it’s scaling back the recently launched Long Beach Register from a six-day publication to one.
Freedom Communications Holdings Inc. in Santa Ana announced it will shift its Long Beach Register from a standalone newspaper published six days a week to a weekly that it plans to deliver to about 61,000 area households on Sundays. The change is planned to take effect June 15. The weekly publication also will be bundled with the Los Angeles Register—which Freedom launched in April—and delivered subscribers in Long Beach on Sundays.
Last December the OC Register’s Teri Sforza, one of their few good investigative reporters, presented an OC Watchdog story (outside paywall here) that should cost District Attorney Tony Rackauckas his job — just like thousands of southern Californians could be losing theirs, or need to relocate to Texas to stay employed. At least they’ll enjoy a lot less government. In part, Sforza wrote:
There was much bellyaching when Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas sued Toyota a few years back. The more generous critics called it political grandstanding, and the less generous critics called it “a shakedown lawsuit for the sole benefit of lining their pockets, but with little, if any, benefit for the citizens of Orange County.” Continue reading
NOT in the print edition of the failing Orange County Register today is the following commentary from Huntington Beach Assemblyman Travis Allen. The HB City Council votes on the ban this evening (their regular meeting yesterday was rescheduled due to unproductive MLK government holiday). Allen, a Republican who was elected in a landslide to the 72nd Assembly District in 2012, just posted on Facebook:
TONIGHT the Huntington Beach City Council will vote on a ban of styrofoam products in Huntington Beach. The council will hold a public hearing at 6 p.m. in the Council Chambers, 2000 E. Main St. Please read my piece in the Orange County Register speaking out against the proposed ban!
Freedom Communications, owner of the Orange County Register, is putting the newspaper’s longtime five-story, 175,000-square-foot and nearly 16 acres of land in Santa Ana off the I-5 Freeway on Grand Avenue and adjacent property on the market, according to the O.C. Register.
Aaron Kushner, Freedom chief executive and publisher, said in a year-end letter to the staff said if the company does not lease back the existing space, the newspaper will move to another Santa Ana location.
Real estate experts estimate that the Register building alone could sell for $20 million to $25 million. Continue reading