The nepotism scandal in Garden Grove has escalated of late with their City Manager, Matthew J. Fertal, suddenly resigning this week. Garden Grove Mayor Bruce Broadwater, who lost his reelection campaign in the November General Election, may have also paid the price for the nepotism scheme, which involved the Garden Grove Fire Department hiring his son, although he was not well qualified and he was chosen over other more qualified applicants.
On top of all that, the Garden Grove Fire Chief, David Barlag, resigned after a vote of no confidence from firefighters, but he gets to stay on the city payroll for two more years at full salary, while taxpayers foot the bill for both an interim fire chief an executive search for his replacement, according to the Voice of OC.
The Garden Grove City Council includes: Chris Phan, Kris Beard, Dina Nguyen, and Steve Jones. Nguyen is leaving the Council this year and will be replaced by Phat Bui, who won in the November General Election.
Tony Flores, a Garden Grove resident and community activist, believes that the entire Garden Grove City Council could be in big trouble because of this nepotism scandal. He sent me the following charges in an email today:
If we review the allegations as they stand to date regarding the hiring of the mayor’s son:
- The mayor and city manager coerced/extorted/bribed the former GGFD fire chief into processing and hiring the mayor’s son.
- The mayor’s son received special advantages beyond that which are/were available to any other citizen.
- An obvious conflict of interest developed and the entire city council remained silent and took no action against it.
- The city council, city manager and the former GGFD fire chief knew or should have known that it was and remains negligent in the hiring and retention of the mayor’s son.
- The entire city council and city manager intentionally violated the Brown Act.
- The entire city council and city manager conspired to violate the Brown Act, commit fraud, embezzlement and theft when authorizing and entering into the agreement with the former GGFD fire chief.
- The current city council, city manager and former GGFD fire chief are in violation of the Federal and State RICO statutes.
They may be other municipal codes, penal codes, government codes, state and federal laws that have been violated or may be more on point reference the above allegations. Additional evidence may have to be collected but I believe that we have enough to submit to the State Attorney General’s office or Grand Jury to initiate an investigation.
Tony Flores, WGG, CA 92845, 714-222-7421.
Councilman Phan is running for the First District seat on the Orange County Board of Supervisors that was vacated by Janet Nguyen when she won the election to replace Lou Correa in the 34th State Senate District.
Councilwoman Dina Nguyen was elected to the Board of the Orange County Water District in Division 1, in the 2014 November General Election.
Broadwater lost to Bao Nguyen, who now may have to bring in the Feds to clean up the mess at Garden Grove’s City Hall.