The writers and editors at OC Weekly just published their annual list of OC’s Scariest People 2014! Scary People to Avoid in the Dark! Coming in 22nd is 1st District Supervisor, 34th District Senate candidate and FBI suspect Janet Nguyen — our own choice last year for the most corrupt Supervisor on the five-member Board (followup here). The Weekly’s take:
22. JANET NGUYEN
Amazingly, this is Janet Nguyen’s first time on this list, despite a career swarming with scary accomplishments. We’re finally convinced she might be an actual vampire. Think about it: Her social sensibilities are centuries old. She somehow hypnotizes thousands of people to vote for her despite having no accomplishments or fan base. There’s barely any garlic in her Stanton sandwich shop, and somehow, she’s semi-successfully running for state Senate against Jose Solorio despite her mismanagement of CalOptima, Orange County’s medical-care program for the poor and elderly. Supporters are currently under investigation for alleged money laundering to fund her Board of Supervisors campaigns. Has anyone ever seen her wear silver?
Mitigating Factor: Nguyen’s the only person capable of killing the werewolf that is Van Thai Tran.
We agree, of course, with the choice (and a few others on the list like Pringle Lieutenant Lucille Kring). In 2013, OCPBlog took inventory of the Republican’s great accomplishments:
- Voting against a letter grade restaurant health rating system that most Counties use and that the OC Grand Jury recommended. She was the key vote against this County ordinance but did not mention to anyone that her husband and her then Chief of Staff were the co-owners of an absolutely filthy Lee’s Sandwiches franchise in Stanton that had received numerous health violations courtesy of the OC Health Care Agency. She also had accepted over twenty thousand dollars in campaign contributions from the owners of various bars, restaurants and eateries that had terrible health violation records. She did not mention any of this when she voted against letter grade health ratings. Well she got away with it but her husband was reportedly fired from his job, working in food safety for a large food services corporation. Oops!
- Nguyen hired her own sister and paid her $73K for a County job – for part-time work!
- Nguyen hired back her husband’s ex-business partner and he is even now collecting a salary from her office – most likely though he is actually working on her campaign
- She says she is against taxes but she spent $136K of our taxpayer money on new office furniture that was not needed.
- Nguyen tried to take over the Black Friday event in Westminster a few years ago and was intending to use the event to promote herself and then GOP gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman – luckily the Westminster City Council punked her and put Nguyen in her place!
- And Nguyen took over and ruined the CalOptima agency, forcing the OC Board of Supervisors to assign Supervisor Todd Spitzer to clean up her mess. After she took over CalOptima she held a fundraiser so the OC medical community could write checks to her campaign!
Destroying CalOptima was her greatest win — so much so that her Supervisorial peers needed to place Todd Spitzer on its Board to keep an eye on her and try to right the ship. She even lied in a campaign mailer that she REFORMED CalOptima!
Nguyen’s adventures in fundraising include an FBI investigation that’s focused on her and this latest reveal from the labor-funded Voice of OC: Six Nguyen Donors Admitted to Political Money Laundering.
And there’s even more here.
How unfortunate that the GOP couldn’t do any better in this District — but there IS another “mitigating factor” — if Janet wins the 34th because its Republicans held their noses and voted for her, she’ll be off the Board of Supervisors and out of town leaving her old man to mind the kids.