By: Orange County Supervisor Pat Bates
The Board passed the Orange County Legislative Platform for 2014. This document serves as a guide for our involvement at the State and Federal levels of government. Over the past few months, the Board of Supervisors and their staff met with our legislative advocates and representatives from every County department to create a document that would serve the County as a whole.
The four primary principles for the overall platform include:
- Protecting Local Government Funding
- Fiscal Parity
- Cost Recovery
- Operational Efficiency
The platform also includes proposals for County-sponsored State and Federal legislation.
The State proposals include:
- Medi-Cal reimbursement for federally qualified health centers.
- Alternates to the appointed Board Members of the Orange County Retirement System (OCERS); and
- Recovering costs of County searches when a resident acts in violation of the law or with reckless misconduct and disregard for their safety.
Federal proposals include:
- Eliminating the Medicaid inmate exception rule for pre-adjudicated inmates.
- Discount drug pricing.
- Flexible use of continuum of care homeless assistance funding; and
- Housing Choice Voucher Moving to Work Program.
As stated, this document serves as a guideline for the County, but it can be amended if needed throughout the year.
For more information on the platform, please click here.