June 3, 2013 · by OC Political Watchdog
After receiving news that Assembly Candidate Steve Baric is planning to hold a kickoff campaign fundraiser, it has been brought to the Watchdog’s attention that Steve Baric, a Rancho Santa Margarita Councilman now campaigning for the California State Assembly seat in the 73rd District, has some explaining to do regarding his campaign’s financial affairs.
OC Political Watchdog has obtained a copy of Baric’s most recent campaign financing report which confirms the following facts:
- Baric Has Significant Unpaid Debt from his 2010 City Council Campaign. Baric accumulated over $17,000 in debt in his barely successful campaign for his first and only term on that city’s council. As of today, Baric still has $14,760 in unpaid campaign debt.
- Baric “Dined & Ditched” Local RSM Restaurant. Carmelita’s is a small Mexican restaurant in RSM where Baric held a city council fundraiser in 2010 – an event headlined by Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas. Despite the fact that Baric reports having $650 cash on hand, after more than two years in office, Steve Baric still hasn’t paid his $496 tab at Carmelita’s (see page 6).
- Baric Failed to Pay for 2010 Slate Mailers. Baric failed to pay political insider Jim Lacy’s Landslide Communications $1970 for political slate mailers (mailers listed individually on page 7).
- Baric Failed to Pay His Political Consultant. Baric still hasn’t paid $11,860 to his political consultant Brandon Powers of Powers Communications, Inc. (pages 6, 8).
- Baric Failed to File His Financing Report Before Legal Deadline. According to the City of Rancho Santa Margarita, Baric filed his report 25 days late on February 25, 2013 (see date stamp on page 1). Surprisingly, Baric’s campaign treasurer signed Baric’s report on January 9, 2013 (page 1), yet Baric failed to file this report for 47 days.
OC Political Watchdog has also reviewed Baric’s previous campaign finance disclosure reports and confirmed that of the five reports Baric was legally required to file since being elected, Baric failed to file four of those reports by the legal deadline.
Assembly Candidate Steve Baric needs to answer the following questions:
Click here to read the rest of this article.