ORANGE COUNTY DISTRICT ATTORNEY NEWS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 24, 2017
Case # 15CF1637
SANTA ANA, Calif. – A former Costa Mesa Police Department (CMPD) officer was sentenced to six months in county jail today for committing insurance fraud by presenting a false insurance claim and making false material statements related to the claim.
Defendant: Ryan Patrick Natividad, 32, Corona
Found guilty by a jury on Feb. 16, 2017, of one felony count each of:
- Insurance fraud
- Making a fraudulent statement
- Six months in county jail
- Three years formal probation
- Ordered to pay restitution
Circumstances of the Case
- On Sept. 23, 2014, Natividad, who was employed as a CMPD officer at the time of the crime, reported a work-related injury to CMPD.
- Natividad falsely claimed that earlier in the day, he struck his hand against a brick wall near the CMPD jail while transporting an arrestee for booking. The defendant claimed that the arrestee stumbled into the wall, prompting him to use his hand to prevent the arrestee from striking the wall.
- Natividad filed a fraudulent workers’ compensation insurance claim and was subsequently directed by CMPD to seek immediate medical attention.
- Natividad listed a jail employee as a witness to the incident in his injury paperwork.
- The employee reviewed the jail surveillance camera footage, determined that the incident the defendant reported never occurred, and brought the video footage to his supervisor’s attention.
- The video was submitted with Natividad’s workers’ compensation insurance claim to the City of Costa Mesa.
- The City of Costa Mesa, the city’s insurance company AdminSure, and a private investigation firm hired by AdminSure investigated Natividad’s workers’ compensation insurance claim and reported the fraud to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office, who investigated this case.
Deputy District Attorney Noor Hasan of the Insurance Fraud Unit prosecuted this case.
TONY RACKAUCKAS, District Attorney
Susan Kang Schroeder, Chief of Staff
Michelle Van Der Linden,Spokesperson