As you may know, the Fountain Valley City Council is trying to raise the sales tax in their city, via Measure HH, which is on the ballot this November.
Recently a Fountain Valley resident posed a question on the official Fountain Valley Facebook page asking why the page was promoting Measure HH – a very good question indeed. The resident also wondered why the person who was posting as the City of Fountain Valley apparently was posting from Indian Wells, CA. He wondered if perhaps this was a city employee posting at a cushy resort. Good question!
The city’s response was amazing. They wrote:
“Kenny, you have made offensive remarks about the city, about the Chamber of Commerce and FV Fountain Valley Living Magazine (which also has been pimping Measure HH). If you are supporter of Pat Tucker’s then Pat, he’s all yours. You two deserve each other.
Patrick Tucker, FYI, is a candidate for the Fountain Valley City Council. He is opposed to Measure HH.
- If passed by the voters, Measure HH will have tax negatives for a long 20 years for Fountain Valley residents involving delivered appliance / DMV registered item purchases (cars, trucks, motorcycles, motorhomes, RVs and boats). Yes, FV residents will pay more in tax no matter where you buy, while people don’t live in FV will pay less. You are reading this correctly, our residents will pay more if voters pass Measure HH, since it’s excessive.
- The TRUTH about the $100 million dollars plus the State took from the City of FV, on several occasions years ago, is that HAD we been using the money for redevelopment and/or capital improvement projects instead of it just sitting there, the money WOULD NOT have been taken. Please keep in mind, this did not happen at once….was from 2003 and ended in 2011 — current Council was seated during that time. Many have known this information for years. I said it twice and it most certainly could have been challenged by the incumbents, since we sparred on other issues as confirmed by a newspaper article).
- The City of Fountain Valley spent $620,000 on the “FV Crossings Plan” yet has not done any financials on this rezoning of approx. 162 acres at Ellis in our light manufacturing / industrial area; therefore, cannot claim it is financially lucrative. Yet another accurate statement not challenged by the incumbents (and yes, it could have been).
- The reality of both high-density residences and high-rise offices coming … up to 6 stories high. I don’t devalue our light manufacturing / industrial area as our Mayor who described the area as “underutilized” and “tired” in the Forum and negatively in a recent City Council Meeting.
- The 20-year sales tax increase, aka Measure HH, is EXCESSIVE. FV residents will pay more than those who don’t live here!
- Measure HH is bad for residents, bad for businesses, and bad for Fountain Valley.
We are endorsing both Tucker and Constantine. And we also oppose Measure HH. Read more about why HH is awful here.
The reality that the F.V. City Council is blissfully unaware of is that consumers have choices. In fact the OCTA is really hurting right now because so many consumers are shopping online instead of at local brick and mortar stores. This is hurting the OCTA’s ability to collect sales tax money via Measure M. This will also happen in Fountain Valley. Consumers will go to other cities to buy their big ticket items. Measure HH will kill local businesses and local jobs. It is time to vote out the bums on the F.V. City Council!