AD73: Anna Bryson Was Not the Teachers Union Candidate
(This is the 4th in a series of blog posts “Setting the Record Straight on Anna Bryson”)
By Art Sanchez, Campaign Manager, Anna Bryson for State Assembly 2014
Jesse Petrilla in a direct-mail piece that went out to tens of thousands of likely voters called Anna Bryson “The Teachers Union Candidate.” Blogger Aaron Park from the Bill Brough camp called (4/9/14) her the “Union Queen.”
As matter of fact, these claims of Petrilla and Park are utterly False.
• Anna did NOT apply for endorsement from the California Teachers Association union or its local Capistrano Unified affiliate and did NOT interview with them for an endorsement
• Anna has NEVER received the endorsement of the Teachers Union.
• Anna has NEVER received any independent expenditures on her behalf by the Teachers Union.
• In 2006, Anna Bryson was a pioneer among Orange County Republicans in declining public-employee union endorsement and money in principle.
• The Teachers Union spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in the 2010 election to remove Anna from the Capistrano Unified school board.
In fact in 2014, the teachers’ union endorsed Wendy Gabriella, the Democratic candidate in the primary, who is now going on to the general election in November.
Wendy Gabriella posed the following on her Facebook page on April 8, 2014:
“I am pleased and honored to report that I received the endorsement of the California Teachers Association. Thank you to Mike Stone and members of the interview committee. Additionally, thank you to my brother Tom Gabriella who has served as Union President for many years, following in the footsteps of our father…who served as Union President for over 20 years.”
During the 2014 campaign, Brough-blogger Aaron Park encouraged (4/24/14) people to ask Anna in public: “Anna, what unions have endorsed your campaign?” Apparently, Park was such an incompetent researcher that he did not think to look at the actual endorsement list of the Teachers Union.