For immediate release: July 3, 2014
Libertarians urge Americans to declare their independence
On Independence Day, the Libertarian Party calls on American voters to declare independence from the Republican and Democratic parties.
The Declaration of Independence says: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.–That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, –That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”
Libertarian Party Chair Nicholas Sarwark said, “Those words from the Declaration also hold true of political parties. The Republicans and Democrats have no interest in securing our rights — they have become ‘destructive of these ends,’ and now spend most of their time working on new ways to violate our rights. It’s time to throw them out.”
Sarwark continued, “According to recent Gallup polling, 46% of Americans now consider themselves ‘independent’ from the Democratic and Republican parties. We urge the other 54% to join them.
“The Republicans and Democrats have maintained their power partly by fostering the illusion that they are significantly different from each other. Supporters are told that if the other team gets elected, the world will end. In reality, the Republicans and Democrats are so similar that it doesn’t matter which of them are in power. George W. Bush and the Republicans grew government across the board. Barack Obama and the Democrats grew government across the board.”
Libertarian candidates show strong support among independent voters. For example, a recent Public Policy Polling poll in North Carolina showed that 19% of independent voters supported Libertarian Sean Haugh for U.S. Senate, versus 31% for the Democratic candidate and 25% for the Republican candidate.
Sarwark added, “We encourage all people who value freedom and individual rights to join the Libertarian Party.”