By Orange County Supervisor Pat Bates
The Board accepted a grant award of $1,044,013 from the California Emergency Management Agency (CalEMA) for the Victim/Witness Assistance Services Program. This program provides comprehensive services for victims and witnesses of crimes, as outlined in the California Penal Code.
Examples of these services include:
- Crisis intervention
- Emergency assistance
- Resource and referral counseling
- Follow-up counseling
- Filing of compensation claims
- Property return assistance
- Orientation to the criminal justice system
- Court accompaniment and support
- Presentations to criminal justice agencies, public agencies, and community groups
- Case status monitoring
- Victim and employer notifications
- Restitution assistance
- Employer and creditor intervention
- Funeral arrangements
- Providing crime prevention information
- Arrangement for law enforcement protection due to safety reasons
- Assistance in obtaining temporary restraining orders
- Arrangement for transportation to court
- Assistance to victim impact statement preparation.
For more information please click here.