EDITORS NOTE: Unfortunately, our poll below has been hacked — readers should make NO inference or draw any conclusion from the results. We’re looking into the logs and noticing some very similar IP addresses which means a randomizer, or scrambler attacked our WordPress implementation. The poll’s been closed.
Martin Wisckol, the OC Register’s elder political reporter, “caught up” with washed-up, former Assemblyman, former Supervisor and former Fullerton Councilman Chris Norby today. It’s outside the paywall here: Chris Norby ‘won’t rule out’ run in 2014.
As we discussed November last, “we wonder if Norby’s ever had a job as an adult that wasn’t on a government payroll.” He’s got quite a personal and political resume:
- Allegations of domestic violence involving his fourth wife per a Register story quoting Fullerton Police Sgt. Andrew Goodrich
- Investigated, but cleared for using campaign funds for a hotel stay while “researching homelessness” in 2007
- Found sleeping one off at the Old County Courthouse in Santa Ana while apparently homeless himself
- Questioned by his hometown Blog for a campaign endorsement of a dirty cop
- Couldn’t get the endorsement of his disgraced Assembly predecessor, Mike Duvall, when he ran for Clerk-Recorder in 2009, but he did get them from John Lewis and Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido, a Democrat
- Sexual harassment charges in 2003, later settled
Norby often been praised for his Conservative positions and stance for property rights. But his “eccentric” behavior (as Wisckol described it) no doubt contributed to his “running an inept, poorly funded campaign (he was beaten by a rookie campaign manager) in 2012″.
This has-been “didn’t take his latest Democrat opponent seriously and got beaten for an important Assembly seat that will be hell for the GOP to recapture. He has a questionable reputation, [and] can be erratic and unstable” as we said in November. Being on his fourth marriage likely didn’t help either as Republicans aren’t as understanding about such personal matters as their Democrat competition seems to be.
While County Supervisor, Norby appointed Phil Tsunoda, a Democrat now infesting the Aliso Viejo City Council, as his Chief of Staff . Since he’s so adept at cronyism, Tsunoda, like Norby’s brother, has slimed his way through a variety of well-paid County staff positions at Public Works and the Clerk-Recorder. He is now with CalOptima.
It’s not too early to take the temperature in AD65. Here’s our first poll for the 2014 election, presenting a small slate of potential GOP candidates for this District that includes Fullerton, Anaheim, Cypress, Stanton, La Palma and pieces of LA County. We’ve not confirmed if the individuals listed actually live in AD65 — we’re just using names from Wisckol’s article and have added a few of our own. Please leave a comment with suggestions for anyone else that might be added. We’ve scheduled the Poll to run thru next week, ending on Saturday, 7/13.
Pick a GOP Candidate for AD65
- Bruce Whitaker (Mayor, Fullerton) (48%, 176 Votes)
- Young Kim (Staffer to Rep. Ed Royce) (46%, 168 Votes)
- Ling-Ling Chang (Mayor, Diamond Bar) (3%, 12 Votes)
- Shawn Nelson (County Supervisor, 4th District) (2%, 7 Votes)
- Chris Norby (Retired Gov't Employee) (1%, 3 Votes)
- Dr. Prakash Narain (Mayor, Cypress) (0%, 1 Votes)
- Henry Charoen (Mayor, La Palma) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 367
Here’s a map for AD65 (click to enlarge):