The OC GOP lost their grip on the 65th Assembly District last November when Chris Norby got trashed by Sharon Quirk-Silva – a clear indictment of Norby’s consultant, John Lewis.
We’re barely into the New Year and already the Republicans are going nuts over who is going to get to lose to Quirk-Silva in 2014. According to the OC Political blog, the leading Republican candidates are:
- Councilman Henry Charoen of La Palma.
- Young Kim (pictured above, on the right). She is Ed Royce’s Director of Community Relations and Asian Affairs. She lived with her husband, in La Habra – but has now moved to Fullerton. The OC Political blog reported that she “comes across as a political opportunist by moving to Fullerton.”
- Steve Hwangbo – La Palma Councilman
- Bruce Whitaker – Fullerton Councilman
- Lucille Kring – Anaheim Councilwoman
I am a big fan of Whitaker but I don’t know how he would be able to raise enough money to run for the Assembly. Kring could be a player but her anti-immigrant comments during last year’s election will come back to haunt her. In case you have forgotten she harassed her fellow Republican, Cecilia Iglesias, over the Dream Act, when Iglesias.
No one from La Palma is going to win the 65th. That city represents the smallest portion of the 65th A.D.
Kim is unknown and has a huge task ahead of her just to get the voters to know her. It will take a lot of money…
Unless the OC GOP can register more voters in the 65th A.D. they will have no shot at this eat in 2014. They will continue to pay for alienating Latino voters.
And don’t forget that the new head of the Democratic Party of Orange County (DPOC), Henry Vandermeir, has a vested interest in the 65th A.D. as his wife Lori helped Quirk-Silva to defeat Norby last year. The DPOC is going to spend money to defend their new turf – bet on it.