Bill Hunt may be back on the campaign trail in 2014
Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Sandra Hutchens told reporters, when she revealed this past November that she is battling breast cancer, that she would continue to be fully engaged in the leadership of the department and that she intends to seek reelection in 2014, according to PublicCEO.
However my confidential sources are telling me that she is having second thoughts and may in fact not run for re-election in 2014, due to her ongoing health issues.
If Hutchens steps aside the race for Orange County Sheriff will be one of the biggest of 2014 and may feature candidates including:
- Bill Hunt – the former San Clemente Police Chief who ran against crooked former Sheriff Mike Carona and then was derailed and pushed out of the department by Carona after that election. Hunt was recently restored by the courts and is surely itching to get back on the campaign trail.
- Paul Walters, Santa Ana Police Commissioner and City Manager. Hutchens was chosen by the O.C. Board of Supervisors over Walters. He has since saved the City of Santa Ana from a budget crisis and is now working hard to deal with state demands for the return of $56 million in redevelopment dollars.
- Craig Hunter – he just retired from the Anaheim Police Department but faced off against Hunt and Hutchens previously.
Hutchens may be grooming one of her current assistants to take over her department as well. Her executive staff includes:
- John Scott, Under Sheriff
- Mark Billings, Assistant Sheriff, Field Operations & Investigative Services Command
- Lee Trujillo, Assistant Sheriff, Custody Operations & Court Services Command
- Linda Solorza, Commander, Field Operations & Investigative Services Command
We all wish her a speedy recovery but if she does opt to retire the resulting race for her seat will surely be a great race for us to cover. We look forward to doing so.