We started this blog on January 1, 2012. What a year it has been! Here are our top ten stories of the year, based on our readership data:
- Irvine boss Larry Agran lost in his campaign for Mayor and the Republicans took over the Irvine City Council
- Sharon Quirk-Silva beat Chris Norby in the 65th Assembly District – and it was all John Lewis’ fault
- Travis Allen beat Troy Edgar in the 72nd Assembly District. For once the good guy won!
- Orange County’s administration imploded in the wake of the arrest of Carlos Bustamante for alleged sex crimes
- Santa Ana Mayor Miguel Pulido won re-election and Mayor Pro Tem Claudia Alvarez got elected to the RSCCD Board of Trustees, despite massive attacks on both of them
- Democrat Teresa Tita Smith beats Republican Jon Dumitru to become the new Mayor of Orange
- A massive hotel tax giveaway in Anaheim to a hotel developer led to unrest as did the shooting of several young Latinos by Anaheim police during the year
- Former Anaheim Mayor Tom Daly won in the 69th Assembly District after several Latino candidates beat each other up in the primary
- The Fullerton Recall succeeded, but Travis Kiger suffered a close loss in his Council campaign in November.
- Former SAUSD Trustee Nadia Lockyer resigned from the Alameda Board of Supervisors, got dumped by her husband, Bill Lockyer, and ended up in meth rehab. Tough year for Nadia…
Let me know if I missed any of your top stories for 2012!