Voters in Orange won’t have much of a choice in this November’s Mayoral race as their are only two candidates – and they both are calling themselves fiscal conservatives.
Orange Council Members Jon Dumitru and Teresa “Tita” Smith were both re-elected in 2008, according to Smart Voter. Dumitru is a Republican. Smith is a Democrat, apparently, but she sounds like a Republican and has a lot of Republican backers. However she is listed here as a Democrat.
So how do these two candidates match up?
- Education – Dumitru appears to have only a high school diploma, according to his Facebook page. Smith, on the other hand, was in the first freshman class of the University of California, Irvine where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in Social Science in 1970 and she earned a Masters Degree from USC in 1992, according to her official city bio.
- Professional Experience – Dumitru is a government worker. He answers 911 calls for the Orange County Fire Authority. Dumitru also owns a small business inspired by the A&E TV Show “Storage Wars” and SPIKE TV Show “Auction Hunters” trying to find hidden and forgotten treasures, according to his official city bio. Smith appears to be a professional volunteer. Her community services include serving as the Founding President of the Pitcher Park Community Foundation, volunteering 33 years at the Orange International Street Fair, All AmericanStreet President, YWCA Advisory Board, Orange Public Library Community Liaison, Holiday Hope Committee, Orange Senior Center Board, and various non-profit fundraising endeavors throughout Orange. She was the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry at Holy Family Cathedral from 1978-1992.
- Endorsements – Dumitru has been endorsed by the OC GOP. Smith has a lot of GOP supporters too – but she also lists quite a few Democrats on her endorsement page.
- Taxes – Smith claims to “champion fiscally conservative policies and is absolutely responsible with our tax dollars,” according to her website. Dumitru claims on his website that he “will never vote to raise your taxes.”
- Crime – Dumitru says that “Protecting the City of Orange from sex offenders has always been important to him.” Smith claims that she “protects Orange by ensuring public safety.” Neither one has any original ideas on their websites regarding this issue but Smith does say on her Smart Voter page that she will “Provide needed Resources for Police and Fire.”
- Social Issues – Dumitru says he is “an advocate for traditional family values.” In Orange County that means he is pro-life and anti-gay marriage. Smith doesn’t mention any of this on her website.
- Green Energy – Dumitru is willing to cut the overly hifh planning fees charged by the City of Orange, according to the O.C. Register. Smith apparently is not.
Dumitru appears to be more of a right-winger than Smith. She appears to be old-school Orange, which is a big deal in that city.
Smith “founded the Old Towne Preservation Assn. (OTPA) to prevent demolition of the historic neighborhood. Over the years, Tita has been recognized twice by OTPA, winning the Spirit of Old Towne Award in 2000 and Volunteer of the Year in 2006. She was appointed to the Orange Centennial Committee in 1988 and the East Orange Advisory Committee in 1990. She was nominated to serve on the Planning Commission in 1992 and was the chairperson for two years.”
Dumitru says that he “has been recognized several times for fighting for rights of Orange residents for smaller government, property rights and fiscal responsibility, to delivering a baby on Mother’s Day, to saving a young girl with a gunshot wound, and chasing a carjacker down and holding him for the local police.”
Which one should you vote for? Hard to say. Pick your poison. Smith seems the better choice for Democrats, independents, and moderate Republicans. If you like knuckle-dragging machine-type OC Republicans then Dumitru is your guy.
Click here to check out Smith’s Facebook page.
Click here to check out Dumitru’s Facebook page.