The Lincoln Club of Orange County’s State and Federal Political Action Committees have issued a primary election Orange County voter guide, and it is a stunning slap to the Republican Party of Orange County’s slate of candidates in Central Orange County.
Why would the Lincoln Club reject them? Well, for starters, most of them are startlingly anti-Latino. One of them, Robert Hammond, got rejected not once but twice – the Lincoln Club refused to endorse him for both the OC GOP’s 69th Assembly District delegation and the Orange County Board of Education, Area One.
The Lincoln Club of Orange County’s website describes them as “an organization dedicated to limiting government to those legitimate functions that least intrude on the economy and the individual lives of its citizens while providing a strong defense securing individual liberties.” What this means is that the Lincoln Club is not going to support candidates who are union hacks or who are in favor of government employee pension abuse.
Other 69th A.D. Republican Party Central Committee candidates who the Lincoln Club rejected include:
- Thomas Anthony Gordon, an asbestos inspector at LA Unified (government worker). Lives in Santa Ana but also maintains a second household in Denver, CO.
- Lupe Moreno, works for the O.C. Health Dept. (government worker) and is a member of the notoriously racist Minutemen. Lives in Santa Ana.
- Charles Hart, also works for the County of Orange (government worker) and ran unsuccessfully for Mayor of Santa Ana in 2010. He is a candidate for Ward 3 on the Santa Ana City Council in the November general election. Lives in Santa Ana.
- Glen Stroud, a retired Orange County “Recreation Supervisor.” (Yes, another government worker). Lives in Santa Ana.
- Brett Elliott Franklin, a former member of the Santa Ana City Council. He is a Realtor by trade. Franklin is a good guy. I am not sure why the Lincoln Club rejected him. Lives in Santa Ana.
- Bryan Carter, a software engineer. I have never heard of him before. I am not sure where he lives.
- Cuong Sinh Cao – known for protesting supposed “commies” in Little Saigon. A real rabble-rouser. I am not sure where he lives.
- Tim Whitacre – another Realtor/Mortgage Consultant. Whitacre is known for working on many campaigns including the recall of former SAUSD Trustee Nativo Lopez. Lives in Santa Ana.
Notice that the Republicans ran only one Hispanic candidate for the 69th A.D. Central Committee, in a district that includes the heavily Latino City of Santa Ana. That candidate however is the Minuteman Lupe Moreno. Epic fail!
The Lincoln Club also rejected Jerry Hayden, the Republican Party of Orange County’s endorsed candidate in the 46th Congressional District.
Strangely they also failed to endorse Jose “Joe” Moreno, the only Republican running for the 69th Assembly District. I don’t get that one as Moreno is a fiscal conservative and a family man. Rumor has it that the OC GOP bigwigs pulled Hammond out of the race for the 69th A.D. to pave the way for anti-Latino Democrat Tom Daly to win in that district. Moreno however may keep Daly out of the “top two” in the Open Primary.
Even more strangely, the Lincoln Club rejected all of the Republicans running for the 72nd Assembly District, including Long Pham, Travis Allen and Troy Edgar. They also did not endorse in the race for the Third Supervisorial District, rejecting both Todd Spitzer and Deborah Pauly.