Three Republican candidates are having quite a shoot-out already for the new 74th Assembly District, that includes the Cities of Costa Mesa, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Irvine, and Laguna Beach. None of the candidates is an incumbent although 68th Assembly District respresentative Allan Mansoor and his supporters would like for us to think otherwise. In truth though only 20% of his current constituents are in the 74th.
The other GOP candidates include Keith Carlson, a lawyer and GOP insider former treasurer of the California Republican Party, who hails from Huntington Beach; and Leslie Daigle, a Council Member in Newport Beach. I have issues with both of them – and Mansoor is not much better.
The Democrats, as is usual for them, don’t even have an announced candidate yet. They really shouldn’t bother as the Republicans have a 13-point edge in this district and President Obama is going to be a major drag on any and all Democratic legislative candidates in Orange County this year.
Let’s start with Mansoor. He is in major trouble under the new primary rules – especially since there is no Democrat in the race. What that means is that, under the new open primary law, Democrats will be voting for a Republican – and it is unlikely that Mansoor will be their choice. To make things worse, Mansoor has a well-deserved reputation for Latino bashing – and I noticed that his campaign website includes a Vietnamese option but of course not a Spanish one, even though 15% of the voters in the new district are of Hispanic origin, while just over 16% are Asians. Mansoor also harps about immigrants, again, on his website.
And why do we never see Mansoor with any ladies? He seems a bit old to not have a girlfriend or be married. There are a lot of families in the 74th. I would think they would prefer to vote for a family man.
Two Mexican bashers unite
OC GOP Central Committee member Allan Bartlett, an Irvine resident, gushed today about Mansoor on his Facebook page, because Mansoor voted to get rid of redevelopment. So what? I think Carlson would have done so too. Not so sure about Daigle, who according to the O.C. Register has been openly networking with Irvine’s Democratic City Council majority.
Daigle, like Mansoor she appears to be without a family – no spouse or kids are mentioned on her Facebook page or her website. Apparently she once accepted an award for a totally fabricated issue. I could only find proof of two people who have endorsed her – Marian Bergeson (is she still alive?) and former Newport Beach Mayor Denis O’Neil. She seems to have cut her political teeth on environmental issues – hardly something conservatives are known for. But despite her shortcomings there are more voters in Newport Beach than in Costa Mesa. And she can raise money, while Mansoor is in debt and is quite lame at fundraising. Click here to see her Facebook page.
Mansoor may be flat broke but he has gathered quite a few endorsements, including:
- Congressman Dana Rohrabacher
- Congressman Ed Royce
- Congressman John Campbell
- State Senator Mimi Walters
- State Senator Tom Harman
- State Senator Mark Wyland
- State Senator Tony Strickland
- State Assemblyman Martin Garrick
- State Assemblyman Chris Norby
- State Assemblyman Jeff Miller
- State Assemblywoman Diane Harkey
- State Assemblyman Jim Silva
- Chair of the Orange County Board of Supervisors, Pat Bates
- Supervisor Bill Campbell
- Supervisor Pat Bates
- Tom Fuentes, Former Chair of the Republican Party
- Hon. George Argyros
- Michelle Steel, Board of Equalization
- Anaheim Mayor Curt Pringle
- Costa Mesa Councilmember Gary Monahan
- Costa Mesa Mayor Pro Tem Wendy Leece
- Fountain Valley Mayor Guy Carrozzo
- Fountain Valley Mayor Pro Tem Larry Crandall
- Fountain Valley Councilmember Steve Nagel
- Fountain Valley Councilmember John Collins
- Fountain Valley Councilmember Cheryl Brothers
- Garden Grove Mayor Bill Dalton
- Garden Grove Councilmember Dina Nguyen
- Stanton Mayor Ed Royce Sr.
- Stanton Mayor Pro Tem Brian Donahue
- Stanton Councilmember Al Ethans
- Stanton Councilmember David Shawver
- Westminster Mayor Margie Rice
- Westminster Councilman Tyler Diep
- Newport Beach Mayor Ed Selich
- Newport Beach Mayor Pro Tem Keith Curry
- Newport Beach Councilmember Leslie Daigle
- Costa Mesa Planning Commissioner Colin McCarthy and Kerry McCarthy
- Costa Mesa Planning Commissioner Sam Clark and Kimberly Clark
- Costa Mesa Planning Commissioner Jim Fitzpatrick
- Costa Mesa Planning Commissioner Jim Righeimer
- Costa Mesa Planning Commissioner Steve Mensinger and Robin Mensinger
- Costa Mesa Parks and Recreation Commissioner Jeff Matthews
- Orange Mayor Carolyn Cavecche
- Former Costa Mesa Mayor Jack Hammett
- Former Cypress Mayor Mike McGill
- Dana Point Mayor Lisa Bartlett
- Dr. Reza Karkia, Institute for Higher Education
- Jim Galley, California chairman of Republican Veterans of America
- Mark Viafiades, California Congress of Republicans (CCR) State Chair
- Apartment Association of Orange County
- Atlas PAC
- Family Action Pac
- California Republican Assembly
- Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association
- Orange County Taxpayers Association
- Orange County Young Republicans
- Mark Bucher
- Buck Johns
- Mike and Judi Berry
- Garrett Calacci
- Ned McCune
- Surat Singh
- Larry Smith
- Reed Royalty
- Steve Sarkis
Yes, Mansoor is claiming to have Daigle’s endorsement. Huh?
Bill Christiansen and Keith Carlson
Here is Carlson’s endorsement list:
- Former Speaker of the California Assembly and Republican Assembly Leader Curt Pringle
- State Senator John Lewis, Ret.
- Michelle Steel—Elected Member, State Board of Equalization
- Assemblyman Jim Silva
- Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher
- Laura Cunningham—Former Executive Director, OC GOP Central Committee*
- Bruce Whitaker – Elected Member, OC GOP Central Committee*
- Tom Fuentes—Elected Member and Chairman Emeritus, OC GOP Central Committee*
- Jack Wu— Elected Member, OC GOP Central Committee*
- Tony Rackauckas—Orange County District Attorney
- Matt Holder—Alternate Member, OC GOP Central Committee*
- Michael Schroeder—Former Chairman, California Republican Party*
- John Fugatt– GOP Activist and Treasurer, California Republican Assembly*
- Ed Laird—Huntington Beach Community Leader
- Tom Tait—Mayoral Candidate, City of Anaheim
- Ken Mettler—Immediate Past Chairman, CRA
- Mike McClellan—Member, Gen-Next
- Matt Cunningham—Publisher, Red Countyist
- Dave Robinson—prominent OC lawyer and Director, OC Boy Scout Council
- Karen Lugo, Esq.–conservative activist and legal scholar
- Charlotte Christiana—Huntington Harbor RWF* volunteer leader and GOP activist
- Scott Carpenter—GOP Activist and Red County Blogger
- Adam Abrahms—GOP Activist and President, Young Repub. Federation of CA*
- Brandon Powers—GOP Activist
I like Carlson on the issues, and he has a nice family, but I am leery of some of his supporters – such as Matt Cunningham, Curt Pringle, John Lewis and Jim Silva. And, like Daigle, he seems a bit too 1%.
The OC GOP Central Committee will be meeting and voting on Jan. 16 to endorse one of these flawed candidates, according to Geoff West over at the Bubbling Cauldron blog. OC GOP Chairman Scott Baugh has already said that he is endorsing Mansoor, according to the Daily Pilot.
I hope we’ll see a Libertarian Party candidate run for this seat! I really don’t like any of the current GOP candidates.